Today I did some work around the house. John put up Christmas lights this weekend, which said on the box to only put three sets together. He put four. There is a little fuse inside the plug of each one and it keeps blowing out. I replaced it once, but I'm going to have to split them and use another extension cord. I put them on a timer so they'll automatically come on and go off, but since they keep blowing the fuse, they don't really need the timer. Tomorrow I'll add the extra extension cord and replace the fuse again.
Then I put weatherstripping around the front door. It's the most leaky door ever. I pulled off the old, worn, useless stripping and put in new. Some spots needed a double thickness. Now the front door is pretty tight and hard to open. Along the bottom I put in a new sweep and discovered that the old one had been cut along the bottom edge, which is why it didn't work. Why they didn't just attach it higher, I will never know. The new one slides nicely along the threshold and then-pop, off the end of it, leaving a nice little gap. I need to get the kind that runs along the underside edge of the door to get a proper seal. I also made some progress toward sealing off the gap between the stationary part of the sliding glass doors and the wall. Big huge gap there. I found some foamy rope that I could stuff in there. I'll caulk around it and that should do the trick.
What we really need to do is replace the whole door. I think we'd save enough in utility bills to pay for the thing in one winter!
Figured out an excellent solution for the Squig's Christmas present. With Sam's big fancy present I won at the raffle, we have the dilemma of wanting to get the other two something nice, but obviously can't afford to spend what his present is worth. You'll just have to wait until Christmas to hear what we figured out. It's perfect and she'll be happy.
Way to go Biz!
ReplyDelete