Well, things are going pretty slowly in terms of getting the house decorated for Christmas. I'm a big fan of getting the decorations out the day after Thanksgiving. I love Christmas decorations and love having them up. Makes the whole place more festive.
This year, John hung up icicle lights outside along the roof line. They look really nice. There were already hooks on the house when we moved in, so all he had to do was hang the lights. After getting the proper number of strings together, and getting the lights on a timer, they come on by themselves and turn themselves off. It's so nice. I hung wreaths on the gables of the house and one on the door. So, outside, the house looks great.
As for inside, all we have is a bare tree, which has been in the house since Monday night. We went after John got home and managed to pick one out quickly and everyone is happy with it. It's a Turkish Fir, and it's very pretty. Squig named it Robert Christopher, but Ruby didn't like that name, so she named it Aleena. They fought over it for a while until I threatened to feed it through a chipper and use it for mulch. Now they just each call it a different name. My kids are weird.
That's all. Just a bare tree. We've been so busy in the evenings with homework, piano and scouts that we haven't had time to do the decorations. I think tomorrow I'll get the lights out and do them myself. Then we can throw on the ornaments after the kids get home from school. If I get them all out and unwrapped it shouldn't take very long. It's all the unwrapping and finding that takes a while.
I wish the kids got out of school earlier in December so they could help get everything put up. We have a really long Christmas break (Dec. 19 is the last day of school and they go back Jan. 20th) but it's at the wrong time. They're so busy that they can't be a part of that until it's too late to do it. I hate it. Then we have most of the month of January with nothing to do. I think this weekend, even though John will be gone, that we'll just get everything put up and watch all the Christmas shows I've been recording because they're on after the kids should be in bed.
John misses out on decorating for Christmas every year. Sadly, it's his busy travel time. He takes off almost two weeks every year right around Christmas, so he can be home for Christmas. With four company holidays and two weekends, he can take three vacation days and be home for 11 days straight. It's great. Then he has to leave again right after the new year. But we manage. It will be a nice break.
When we eventually get everything decorated, I'll try and post some pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment