Thursday, November 27, 2008

In Gratitude

It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a list of things to be thankful for. Our family has been very blessed, and we have much to be thankful for.

I am thankful for my family. I'm thankful for a loving husband who works hard to support our family. He sets a good example to our children of hard work and dedication. And, he puts up with me and still loves me at the end of the day.

I am thankful for three beautiful, healthy, extremely intelligent children. I love them each for their individual qualities and personalities. It is such a privilege to be able to be with them every day and to help guide them and show them how to become loving productive people. Some days they are a challenge, but so am I, so I figure we're even.

I am thankful for my health. I know I have a reputation for hypochondria, and I do like to complain when I'm feeling off, but I am thankful for my health. I rarely get sick and when I do it usually passes quickly. I do attribute this to my careful choices of what does and does not go into my body. I believe strongly that if I did not take this seriously, I would definitely have more problems than I do. I'm grateful that I have never had the desire for alcohol, drugs or tobacco, which I strongly feel would interrupt my good health record.

I am grateful to live in a place where I can garden and grow fabulous vegetables. I am grateful for plants and trees and flowers, which make the earth a beautiful and wonderful place to live. I'm grateful that even though we are in a drought, we still have enough water to live on and to grow things.

I am grateful for my home and the great yard we have. It's not very big according to east coast standards, but around here, it's huge. My children have room to run around and play. I'm grateful to live in a cul-de-sac so they can ride bikes in the street safely. On a minor note, I'm really grateful for double sinks in the bathrooms. It really makes such a difference!

I'm grateful that my husband has a good job that supports our family so I can stay home with the kids. I'm especially grateful for that right now, as there are many who are losing their jobs.

I'm grateful that we have two cars that run pretty well. I'm grateful that we paid them off, so if anything happens and we lose the house, we can live in the car!

I'm grateful for my extended family. My parents and grandparents, who are all still alive. And of course, my six siblings. I love each of them for distinctly different reasons. I'm glad that we are friends, and even when we're not happy with each other, we still love each other and keep trying. Sometimes it's hard, but it is so totally worth it. I'm grateful to have a good in-law family. We always have a great time when we get together, and I do miss living near them.

And last, but not least, I am grateful for the gospel and the values given to me by my parents. I know that most of the wonderful things in my life would not have happened if I had not stayed true to those values and teachings. Sometimes I fought them and ignored them, but today I see the impact they had on my life and that I am where I am today because of those values and teachings. And I pretty much like who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment