One thing I really like about living in Wisconsin is that they're all about dairy. Lots of little dairy farms with red barns all over the place. Some of them have their own little creameries, where you can buy all sorts of milk, cheese and other dairy products. Even regular grocery stores have a huge cheese selection. They take their cheese very seriously here.
Our current favorite is about 10 minutes up the road, in Columbus, called Sassy Cow Creamery. They have two farms they use for milk, each owned by a brother in the family. One is an organic farm, and the other is traditional. They sell the milk in the local grocery stores.
They were having an ice cream social on Aug 25th, and since the kids and I had been up there for ice cream the week before, we decided to take the whole family and John's parents who were up for something else, and check it out.
It was a big to-do, and we had to park way down the road. They had tours of the diary where they process the milk. Inside the store, they have big windows into the diary so you can watch them making cheese and ice cream. If you're there on the right days, you can watch the guy stretching the string cheese.
![]() |
| Meghan, John Sr., Sam, and John getting ready to go inside for the tour. |
Ruby and I went on the hay ride that went around the field.
![]() |
| On the hayride. |
![]() |
| Ruby on a tractor. |
![]() |
| Meghan playing a cranky old man on a tractor. |
![]() |
| John and Sam next to a John Deere. They had been to a church softball game in the morning, which Sam dressed up for. |
But this is our new favorite little dairy and ice cream shop. Just thinking about it makes me hungry!






I think I could feel right at home with all that Dairy. Maybe I should live in Wisconsin, I hadn't ever thought about it before. Do they have tornadoes? I'm not interested in being a part of one.
ReplyDeleteI've heard they do have tornadoes, but I haven't seen any, so there probably aren't any :)
ReplyDeletePlease do move here! You'll like it. And I'll like seeing Miss Ruthiepants.