I've started working as a substitute teacher in a local school district. Not the one we live in. The one we live in uses the county sub database and they haven't hired new subs in over a year. And I've been waiting for over a year for them. Then the district two towns away was hiring so I went for it.
So, when I'm not working, I'm spending waaaay too much time on the SubFinder website looking for available jobs. They go fast. And when I'm working, well, I'm working.
Blogging and baking seem to be on the back burner right now. I think eventually I'll get my act together and be able to be organized and have things go smoothly. Maybe.
For now, I'm trying to work out the whole "who's going to pick up the kids after school" thing, which I thought I had worked out with a neighbor, but their schedule after school is not as available as they led me to believe and I'm constantly having to make alternate plans.
My plan for tomorrow is trading cars with a friend so she'll have a big enough car to transport all the kids to her house.
What I need is someone who is always home after school and can handle taking my kids with little notice. Not so easy. I could put them in the after school program, but I don't work every day, and if they were in the after school program, they'd have to go every day anyway.
Aside from the childcare problem, it's going pretty well. So far all the jobs I've done have been in junior high or high school. I'd like to try some middle grades, in the 3-5th grade range. Kids that age are a little less snotty and don't try to pull as much. For some reason the high school kids thought I was stupid enough to believe that their teacher ALWAYS lets them use their ipods in class. Right. As If.
So, that's the story. My life is in a big period of change right now and I'm just trying to keep afloat some days.
Hey Biz, I thing you need to dream up some sort of computer program that checks the sub jobs for you and, according to your preset parameters, signs you up for jobs automatically.
ReplyDeleteThat would be clever.