Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baseball

In the past, we've signed our kids up for t-ball/baseball/softball in the next town over. Our town has its own Little League, but I didn't like the schedule. They have games all during the week and it seems like everyone playing in our town disappears off the face of the earth for months when baseball starts. It's crazy.

The next town over, on the other hand, has an eight week season, games are either on Saturday morning or one day during the week, though mostly on Saturday. Coaches have two one-hour practices until games start, then there's one on game weeks. It was great for me. The problem was that it wasn't great for the kids.

Because they didn't go to school with any of the kids on their teams, they weren't making friends. Isn't one of the points of joining teams to make friends? All the other kids on the teams knew each other and went to school together and they would just all naturally group together. So, this year we decided that our kids should play in the Little League here in town, because it's better for them.

All the kids from their school that play ball, play in our town's league. They'll be able to make friends, and also meet new kids who may live around the corner, but go to a different school. They'll get to know kids from school better and maybe find a new connection with kids they didn't know very well before.

I'm already hating it. We got the practice schedule for Sam, and tonight he has practice for two hours, then again Saturday night at 7 p.m. Who starts practice for kids his age at 7 p.m.??? They'd better not try to run it for two hours. That's just ridiculous. Since the coaches are parents, too, you'd think they'd be more concerned about schedules and such. Ugh. And we haven't even gotten the game schedule yet. When practice games start, he has three in one week, 4:30-6:30 p.m, Mon, Wed, Thur. AND, on top of all that, the season is longer than the other town.

I know it's the right thing to do for my kids, but I'm not sure I'm going to survive it.

We'll still do soccer in the next town--we have a very poorly organized soccer league in our town and everyone I know goes to the next town. Their soccer league is just as awesome as the baseball league, only there are tons of kids from our town in it.

And that's my Complaints About My Kids' Activities entry for the day. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. It may drive you crazy, but I bet Sam will LOVE it! All that baseball? So much fun!

    ReplyDelete